Biden's First Moves
Updated: Feb 12
Since taking office three weeks ago, President Biden has used executive action to expand abortion domestically and throughout the world. Here is what he has done:
• Rescinded the Mexico City policy, which denies U.S. funding to international organizations that offer abortion, abortion counseling/referrals, or advocate for abortion rights. This means that our tax dollars will now be used to support organizations worldwide that provide or promote abortion. Biden referred to the Mexico City policy as an “attack on women’s health access.”
• Ordered a review of policies that deny funding for U.S. clinics that provide abortion or abortion referrals. This includes the Title X rule that denies funding to domestic health clinics, such as Planned Parenthood, that offer abortions or refer women for abortions.
• Removed the U.S. from the Geneva Consensus Declaration, a charter of more than 30 countries that oppose abortion.
• Resumed funding of the United Nations Population Fund. (The UN Population Fund is part of the UN that tries to reduce population growth around the world. They claim that they do not promote abortion, but, for example, they work with China on their 1-child policy which forces women to abort.)
• Rejoined the abortion-promoting World Health Organization (WHO). In a meeting with the WHO’s executive board on January 21, Dr. Anthony Fauci, Biden’s chief medical advisor, said, “It will be our policy to support women’s and girls’ sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights in the United States, as well as globally.”
Biden has also promised to:
• Work with USAID and other federal foreign assistance programs to “ensure that adequate funds are being directed to support women’s health needs globally, including sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights.”
• Support repeal of the Hyde Amendment, a rider to the annual budget bill that prevents federal funding of abortion programs in the U.S.
• Defend Roe v. Wade. In a statement marking the 48th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, Biden said, “The Biden-Harris Administration is committed to codifying Roe v. Wade and appointing judges that respect foundational precedents like Roe.”
Biden often talks about how his policies are “science-based,” yet he ignores science as it relates to abortion.
We urge you to contact President Biden, ask him what he means by “reproductive health and reproductive rights,” and express your dissatisfaction with his extreme policies that promote and support abortion. You can contact the president through the white house website at whitehouse.gov/contact.